Okay, so I didn't cycle to this location as it would be over a 100 mile round trip, and as I also took my mother, it would have been a bit of a struggle with her sitting on the handlebars as I peddled. So I drove. It was a nice pleasant drive on one of the few nice days we have had this summer. Going up through the lovely Lancashire countryside you soon enter the Yorkshire Dales, in which the Abbey is located.
View Larger Map
For those of you who may wish to go, Bolton Abbey is located in the Yorkshire Dales near the ancient market town of Skipton. The cost of entry is very reasonable. For just £6.00 per car including all its passengers, you can't really complain. There are plenty of facilities, including toilets, tea rooms, gift shop, restaurants, a 4 star hotel, a functioning Anglican Church and even a Post Office.
There are a variety of activities and things to do. There is a river running through the Abbey grounds that is great to paddle in as well as feed the ducks. Canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats are permitted on certain sections of the water. There are also the ruins to wonder around and miles and miles of walks. On certain days, there are workshops available for a small fee and different locations around the grounds.
Anyway, I will leave you with a few of the pictures I took, including a creepy one which shows a face on a tombstone!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave me a message or comment on my Photographs.