Sunday, 7 August 2011

Summer of Music Part 1.


The Little Comets

I have gone to more gigs and seen more live music this year so far than I have in my entire life previously. This is partly due to the increase in money I have had since working in my current job, but more so, it's the fact that I have someone who loves music as much as I do to go with.

Over the last 12 months, I have seen the likes of Kings Of LeonThe CoralThe Courteeners (for the third time in a year), The White Lies, Gary Newman (I didn't say they were all good), The WombatsTwo Door Cinema Club, The Little Comets... The list goes on.

On Saturday I went to the very first Ben and Jerry's Sundae festival to be held outside of London at Heaton park in Manchester. And wow. What a day I had. Unlimited free ice cream wasn't the only thing that drew me to attend this event. It was the headline act: Maximo Park.



I'm sure there are quit a lot of you who haven't even heard of them in any way, shape or form. But in my personal opinion, they are one of the best bands out there. The lyrics are almost poetic in nature and the way they are delivered by possible the most energetic and engaging front-man in the business, Mr Paul Smith.

Paul Smith and Maximo Park

The Ben and Jerry's festival was a very good day out. There was unlimited ice cream, Good music and a brilliant atmosphere. There were people of all ages there. there was entertainment for the kids, a well stocked bar with good beer rather than the usual crap that's offered at gigs. there was even a Pizza Express there. How many gigs have you been to with its own Pizza Express? Exactly. For the relatively small amount we paid for our tickets (under £30 each), I thought the day was well worth it.

Laura and Mystic Moo

Just a few week before the B&J fest, Myself and Laura went seeing The Courteeners twice in three days. the first at Haigh Hall, Wigan, and the second in Delemere Forest in Cheshire. If there is anywhere which is perfect for a concert of any kind, then it was the venue at Delemere. Set in the heart of a forest, set in a natural amphitheatre, you can stand anywhere and feel like you are just metres away from the action. Despite someone loosing an eye in in a gang brawl in the moshpit, the atmosphere was superb. Everyone was there for the music.

So what else I have got to look forward to this year, music wise? Well, It's Leeds festival in a couple of weeks time, followed a few days later by Arcade Fire. Then it's Ben Howard in October and the brilliant Vaccines after that.

Hopefully I can squeeze in a few more in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message or comment on my Photographs.