I am currently listening to The Vaccines first album "That Did You Expect." I have to say, it is a very strong album, with a mixture of upbeat, slow and, for want of a better word, quite cheeky. Track one is the short but very catchy and wonderful 'Wrecking Bar.' Clocking in at just 1:21 seconds, it has to be one of the shortest songs ever played on radio. Plus there is the challenge of holding your breath for the entire song. It is possible, I have done it myself.
'Post Break-up Sex' is about, well, I think you can guess the context the song is written in. But for anyone who has ever been in that situation, you will totally relate with it. It is also very catchy, and you will find yourself singing along with the chorus on the bus or train on the way to work in the morning, and wondering why people are giving you strange looks.
The theme of this record, like most, is about relationships. Not only lovers, but also about friendship. Some of the songs, such as 'Somebody else's Child' and 'Family Friend' are quite moving and show the wide range of lyrical and musical abilities that this emerging band are capable of.
I hoping they will be familiar faces at this summers numerous festivals and although its not the best album I have ever heard, but is still very good. I'm sure it is a grower and I will fall in love with the musical brilliance by the time I have listened to it a few times.
Album rating:

No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave me a message or comment on my Photographs.