Leeds Festival - A more relaxed day.
![]() |
| Main State on the Last Day |
![]() |
| Mark Watson |
It was now comedy time. In the UK, Comedy is the new rock-and-roll, but will less groupies and more Travelodges. There were some fine names on the billing. Up-and-coming Jimmy McGhie got the crowed going with the opening comedy act of the afternoon. Next was Welsh funny man, Mark Watson. Having seen him any times on TV, I was looking forward to seeing him live. You really get the impression that every single time he performs, it is going to be a totally different experience. His mind seems to go at a million miles an hour which leads him going off on tangents so out there, I don't even think he knows what he is chatting about. Oh, and his kangaroo non-joke is possible one of the funniest things I have ever heard.
![]() |
| T.D.C.C. |
After Mr Watson, it was time for a little more music. We walked over to the main stage to have a look at Two Door Cinema Club. It was pretty rammed with people. The last time I saw them was in a little place in Liverpool when they were relatively unknown. My lovely Laura bought the tickets to see them as a surprise when we hadn't been seeing each other long. I remember I was dying with flu at the time too. This time though I was feeling great, and enjoyed their performance along with the other few thousand people.
![]() |
| Madness |
Madness. I don't really have to say anything more about them really. They played all their 90's hits and the crowd loved it. The highlight for me was an obvious die-hard madness fan who we saw dancing. Every tune, he was dancing along like it was the best day of his life. What made this person stand out was particular was that he was in the disabled section of the main stage and that he had Downs Syndrome. I don't mean any disrespect by saying that. It just brought home to me (prepare for a heart-felt moment) how important music can be. That man, who has probably felt isolated most of his life was there with thousands of other people, dancing, singing and enjoying like everyone else. When it comes to music, there is nothing that isolates people. Not creed, colour, social class or disability.
Anyway, back to comedy. I use the term comedy very very very loosely for the next act we saw. The funniest thing was watching her die on stage. Not literally though, just professionally. She was ROISIN CONATY. Avoid, avoid, avoid! I don't think one person in the tent actually laughed once. Although someone did smile at one of her jokes, then must have thought better of his poor comic judgement as he went outside and hung himself.
![]() |
| Russell Kane - The 3rd Russell of British Comedy |
I don't think I have ever laughed as hard at a comedy show. "Get in the van!" has to be the strangest ctachphrase in comedy, but it can strangely be applied to a number of situations. The metrosexual performer is going to be one of the biggest names in British Comedy. In fact, I think Russell IS the biggest name in British Comedy, there being three of them and all. I hope to catch him again in one of his own full length shows. A very funny man indeed.
I really enjoyed the comedy aspect of the festival and the alternative tent over the weekend staged a selection of the weird and wonderful. I can honestly say that I don't think i would have enjoyed the weekend as much without it.
![]() |
| The Strokes - One of Laura's Photographs |
Disaster! My camera broke! Nooooooooooooooooooo! Luckily, it didn't delete many of the weekends photographs in the little bitch fit it had. But for the remaining few hours of the weekend, I am going to have to steal Laura's photographs.
The Strokes! Wowzers. Could you actually get a bigger name in indie music? Having been a fan since their EP in the late 90's, I was uber excited to see them (as I was to see many bands over the weekend, I know. Shhhhhhh!). Coming on, all pissed and totally rocking out, you got the sense they were rock-and-roll royalty. Despite a few incidence of on stage sneezing, the set was brilliant. Unlike some, I am a big fan of their new album. Some people say it seems 'quite samey' to their other work. Well it does, but it is the sound they rock out and rock out well. Why change it if it works?
No caption needed for the above legendary Brit-Pop band. Mister Jarvis Cocker et al. were in fine form. The stage set-up was truly amazing. The integration between the 'music' and the 'show' was seamless. A lot of money, but more importantly, time has been spent by hundreds of people, making this amazing event that was the 'pride of show'. And all of this was nearly undone because of a peach. I spoke earlier about people dying on stage and Jarvis very nearly did himself. Not in a professional way as that "comedian" before, but actually choking to death on a bit of soft peach. Only a total god like Cocker would eat soft fruit on stage, in front of tens of thousands of people and lake it look 'cool'.
Pulp were amazing. There is no other way of putting it. I am so glad that I can turn round to people and say, "I've seen PULP play live." There couldn't be a more fitting way to finish Leeds festival. There couldn't be a more fitting way to finish my Summer of Music! Or could there???







No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave me a message or comment on my Photographs.