 |
| The weather was on our side on day two |
Leeds Festival - More music than you can shake a wet dog at.
Today was to be a very busy day. There were loads of bands we wanted to squeeze in, but unfortunately, we couldn't see all those we wanted to see.
 |
| Heart-Ships |
We started the day at The BBC Introducing stage. We saw the Heart-Ships, a six piece Leeds based band. I think one to watch out for if you ever see them playing in your local. Their music was folk-rock but was quite easy to get involved in. I don't see them ever making it into the big time, but you never know.
 |
| Frankie and the Heart Strings |
Continuing with the theme of bands with the word 'Heart' in their title, it was time for Frankie and the Heat Strings in the NME tent. They were defiantly entertaining to watch. Although not a massive band, their fan-base is ever expanding and easily filled the tent in which they were playing.
 |
| Miles Kane (if you couldn't guess) |
Miles Kane, once Last of the Shadow Puppets and Rascals member, gave a brilliant performance on this, his first solo Leeds outing. The move to go solo has worked out well for Miles Kane, giving him the freedom to do what he does best, write and sing his own material. This is the second time I have seen him perform such hits as 'Inhaler.' I first saw him support The Coutreeners in December 2010 at the MEN. (Thanks Laura for reminding me)
 |
| Hey Mona... Ooh Mona... |
Thankfully nothing to do with Craig Mclachlan's 1989 classic, Mona are a southern US four-piece band that I had seen support the Kings of Leon in Manchester a few months ago. I particularly enjoyed their song 'Teenager' and after winning Brand New for 2011 at the MTV music awards, they will gain momentum and start selling out their own shows and venues soon.
 |
| Time for a wonder... |
After Mona, I wanted to go and watch the legend that's Tim Minchin. I didn't get to see him because the Alternative tent was heaving. However, I am pleased to say that I got to hear him by cramming tightly into the tent with everyone else in such a way that I could smell what the person in front of me had had for breakfast. Tim as good as I hopped playing a few of his classic comedy wonders as well as some new stuff that will feature in his coming tour. After Minchin, was Petebox. And wow! The sounds that bloke can make with his mouth and his amazing timing with a loop pedal are a wonder to behold. A regular at festivals around the country and the world, his art is a must see.
 |
| Break me on the 37th hour... |
One of the highlights for me was my chance to see The Vaccines play live. I utterly adore their début album 'What did you expect from the Vaccines' and I wished that they were as good live as in the studio. My wish came true. I am going to see them again in Manchester on the 25th November and really cannot wait.
 |
| The Main Stage |
It was now time to go and get some food, some beer and have a casual look at the many stalls there were at Leeds. If you ever want to but a hat, go to a festival! I bought my obligatory Festival T-shirt and then wondered over to the main stage for the headline acts.
 |
| 30 Seconds to Mars |
 |
| Laura Rocking to 30 Seconds. |
This is a band that I am pretty hit and miss about. I was surprised by the low turnout, but The Echelon were there along with a host of large inflatable sea-life creatures. The stage set-up was pretty theatrical with the raising stage and all that, and of course, they were 'The best band in the f*cking world!" like the rest of the American bands were. That to one side, they made a fan out of me from this performance. I would like to go to one of their shows next time they tour. I think the atmosphere they could generate in a gig of their own would be immense.
Laura, has been to see these twice before and as you can see by the photograph, was loving rocking out to them.
 |
| MCR along with a giant cat playing the synth. |
Now, those who know their history will know that My Chemical Romance don't have the best history when it comes to the Reading and Leeds Festival, having been bottled off stage 5 years ago in 2006. With this in mind, it was very brave of them to agree to agree to headline this year. To give them further credit, they have come a long way in that half a decade. Now, to be totally honest, I wan't interested in seeing the band perform live... Ever! But seeing as I had paid nearly two hundred quid for the weekend, I thought I'd attempt to get my monies worth and have a look-see. I'm so happy I did. Being 'the best band in the f*cking world' along with all the others did grate on me, but not enough for me to not enjoy their performance. I don't think I'd go and see them on their own, but if they were to headline a festival, I'd be quite excited to see them again.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave me a message or comment on my Photographs.