Wednesday, 30 June 2010

A Nice Cycle to Leigh and Back



This ride was approx 27-30 km. As I don't yet have my bike computer (nor my new bike) I can only estimate using map scales. 
 


I decided to go for a nice cycle up to Leigh Sports Village, via the Wigan Flashes and Pennington Flash along the canal system. It was a nice ride which is not too challenging if you take it at a reasonable pace. There are however many cycle gates along the way, and if you have 'bullhorns' on your bike like myself, you may want to consider lowering the angle or be ready to lift your bike over gates and fences as I did. I see the need for such gates, but some just seemed to be positioned as to slow cyclists down, not to prevent vehicles entering the area.

I would suggest that the route taken by myself should not be carried out with young children as the return leg from Pennington Flash is mostly road and up hill until Bryn to the north of Ashton-In-Makerfield. If you are not wishing to cycle on the road, just retrace your route back to Scotman's Flash. For some of the route you can cycle on either side of the canal, so there is some variation available on the return home.


A dreary daisy.

Young Thistle.

Yellow flowers are everywhere.

There are so many insects in the area.

The summer read bed is well hidden but worth a look.
   
     

After taking these I joined the canal and followed away from Wigan until I hit Penningtion flash. It is the first time I have been to the area, but I now know why people rave about it. There is stunning scenery everywhere. On my ride, I noticed a few twitcher (bird watcher) hides. I think I will re-visit these when equipped with a more significantly able camera (which should hopefully be tomorrow) and see if I can capture an images of a Willow Tit or maybe a Grey Heron.


There is much to do up at Penningtion Flash. There are allocated fishing areas, sailing areas, mile after mile of walk/cycle ways, a play park and (sometimes at least) an ice cream van. There are also toilets located in the Information Station next to the main entrance car park. There are maps and signs located everywhere so you can easily find your way around.


All in all, I enjoyed the ride today. It took me just over 2 and a half hours which isn't bad considering I stopped at various locations to take photographs. There are plenty of little offshoots for the more adventurous to explore. Just have fun, be safe and wear a helmet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message or comment on my Photographs.