The 22nd April was my first official day off from work. However, a little moonlighting is always a good thing and an afternoon serving the masses beer was a must. Busy wasn't the word! About 3000 pints sold from our bar alone. In the upside though, it was time-and-a-half and Wigan Warriors beat the scummy St Helens in the last few moments of the game. On the way home, I gave Laura a call and she asked me round for tea, and suggested that we go for a drive.
Dinner was in the form of a very tasty lamb burger cooked on the health grill. We sat in Laura's back garden in the sunshine and chatted away. It was at this point that Laura spotted a painting of me on her bin. It seems to be a running joke at work that I look like a gnome. Cheers Brian. I owe you one (git).
After we ate the burgers, I was ordered into the car and we set off. It didn't take long to find out where we were going and for what purpose. We were off to Southport to watch the sunset. I love the fact that I only live about 20 miles from the seaside. I love hearing the ocean wash up on the shore. I hope to one day live near the sea, but a nice, clean and warm one where I can go swimming and maybe see the odd whale or seal.
We arrived as the sun was starting to become very low in the sky. Everything seemed to gleam in the orange glow that can only be seen with the setting Sun. There were birds floating on the breeze, the distant tide could be heard ... Perfect!
![]() |
| "Don't look now but that bird behind you is checking you out." |
As the Sun lowered more and more into the horizon, the inevitable happened... The could came in. As did the rain. And the thunder. And the sheet lightening. This was not a bad thing though. It gave myself and Laura an excuse to park the car on Parbold Hill and watch the storm come in. Simply put:
Wonderful!
After an hour or so of listening to the rain lash on the car roof and watching the landscape light up like the sun itself had re-risen for just an instant each time the lightening flashed, it was time to go home. There are many more adventures to be had over the next week or so. I just hope they can all be as simple and wonderful as this one.





No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave me a message or comment on my Photographs.